Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Recipe: Greek Gemista (Rice Stuffed Vegetables)


Say home cooked Greek food and to most of us one of the first dishes that comes to mind is "gemista" which translates to stuffed vegetables. My past attempts to making them by myself have been a massive failure, ALWAYS. So this time, while I was in my mom's village in Kalavryta and taking full advantage of my grandma's cooking I took some snaps of her AMAZING gemista. 
My giagia stuffs them with rice and grated tomatoes and vegetables and adds grated cheese just before taking them out of the oven, some other people stuff them with minced meat too, I haven't tried that version but they sound delicious too!

Ingredients
(for 4)

Vegetables

6 large ripe and firm tomatoes
6 large bell peppers, I like orange and green ones but you can pick any colour


For the stuffing

the inside of the tomatoes
1 courgette grated
1 onion grated
200 gr long grain rice
200 ml olive oil
Salt and pepper
Parsley if you like it, I don't especially like it so I omit it

3-4 medium potatoes, cut into medium cubes 

Instructions

Wash all your veggies and pat them dry. Make sure you have a large enough oven proof dish that will fit them all in one layer.
Preheat oven to 

Cut the top of the tomatoes, peppers and scoop all the insides using a small spoon. Save the tomatoes pulp for the mixture. 
In a large bowl mix the rice with the grated tomatoes, courgette, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Assemble the gemista by filling them with the mixture and placing them in the dish together with the potatoes. 
Place in the oven and bake for 60-80 minutes. About 10 minutes before taking them out sprinkle them with grates cheese.


This goes well with the stuffed courgette blossoms

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to read A Diary of Lovely. I hope you will be coming again soon.

Pin It button on image hover